Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Don We Now Our Feathers and Glitter: It's Carnival Season!

By: Amy Thomas


Carnival Season has officially arrived and as a virgin to all of the Krewes, parades, and festivities I am in full anticipation of the next couple weeks, including Krewe du Vieux, Super Bowl, Lundi Gras, and Mardi Gras, all within days of each other--and I am certainly on the hunt for an Indian tribe.  I lived in Venice for a while and just missed out on their Carnivale, they like to add a little flare to the word, so I am itching to dive into the masked madness.

For those of you who don't know, the various Krewes put on the parades and gala's that make up the Mardi Gras season.  Members pay a range of fees depending on how elaborate, or financially viable, the Krewe is.  Every year Krewes are responsible for electing Rex, Latin for King, of Mardi Gras.

I am fortunate to have been here for almost nine months before the Carnival season. I know the lay of things, I know that I have no idea what I'm in for, but I know where to pee, I know good spots for drinks, I know how to get home. I also know that I will be working my ass off through it, making a lot of money, and attempting to party somewhere in between.

I look forward to updating you on my trials and tribulations making it through the next couple weeks here in New Orleans! Krewe du Vieux is Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment